Oliver, who is about 19.5 months old now, is down to one 2-3 hour nap per day and I have learned that he desperately needs consistency in this area. For nap time, I talk about how nap time is coming up in 5 or 10 minutes and that it will be time to go “up” (upstairs) and go “night night”. I follow his lead on what time this happens (rubbing his eyes, abnormally fussy, laying down, etc.), but it’s typically between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. when he hits that tired point in his day.
Here is what our nap time looks like:
– Tired cues
– Nap time “warnings” to aid in transitioning from play to sleep
– Go upstairs
– Change diaper and put lavender essential oil on his feet with socks
– Turn on calming music that plays for 6 hours and turn on night light
– Lay him down, then lay his weighted blanket on top of him
– Hand on belly, say “I love you” and “Sweet dreams, buddy”
– Quietly leave room and close the door
This may seem a bit extensive, but it’s what works for him. If any of these things happen in a different order or I forget to turn on the music/night light nap time doesn’t come to us as easily. I’m interested in hearing what your little one’s nap time looks like.